A short history of the NIT
The privately organised institute was founded April 26th, 1991 and is based in Kiel, Germany. The intention of the founding partners was to establish tourism research competence in Northern Germany and to apply this competence to the practical work in the tourism industry.
From the beginning there were no regional limits for the activities of the new institute. Hence, the name affix ‘… in Northern Europe’ is rather a designation for the home of the NIT than its field of activity.
The NIT has contributed data and findings from the 2018 Reiseanalyse on German outbound tourism to Asia and the interest of Germans’ in travelling to China to the publication UNWTO/GTERC Asia Tourism Trends - 2018 Edition.
UPCOMING Dates and events
ITB 2019, Berlin:
* 6 March 2019, 10:00-11:30, City Cube Berlin, Room M4: At the Online Summit 2019 of the Verband Internet Reisevertrieb (VIR) Ulf Sonntag is presenting selected results of the travel analysis on current developments in the online travel market.
* 6 March 2019, 14:30-15:30, City Cube Berlin, Room A6: Together with Dr. Petra Stolba (Österreich Werbung) and Guido Wiegand (FUR, Studiosus Reisen) Martin Lohmann is presenting first selected results of the Reiseanalyse 2019.
* 6 March 2019, 15:00-16:00, Room Weimar 2, Digitalisation and Sustainability in Tourism: Dirk Schmücker (NIT), Eric Horster (FH Westküste) and Edgar Kreilkamp (Leuphana University) are investigating the question "How will digital transformation change sustainable tourism development in the future?
* 7 March 2019, 11:30, Restaurant Brandenburg: Bente Grimm is presenting selected results from the Reiseanalyse at the press conference of the 50plus hotels (registration required).
* 7 März 2019, 12:00-12:15 Uhr, exhibition hall 11.1, Career Center Stage: Philipp Wagner presents "Die Reiseanalyse, basics for junior staff"
International Conference in Berlin on 2 and 3 April 2019: “Measuring Sustainability in Tourism – Opportunities and Limitations” Dirk Schmücker is talking about: “Demand-side Indicators for Sustainable Holiday Travel: What consumers can tell us.” Further information
More on past events in our archive